5 Magazines You Should Start Reading Now

Magazines on a table, beautiful interior design

I can’t stand reading about what Kim Kardashian wore last night or what happened on the latest episode of Coronation street, and unfortunately when trying to find a good magazine you’re normally bombarded with this kind of information which, let’s face it, has zero help towards your life. It’s like eating toilet paper. If it’s really something I should be hearing then I’m sure it’ll eventually get to me, but otherwise keep this shit to yourself. That’s why below I’ve found five amazing magazines that help you grow as a human, and maybe provide a bit of beauty along the way.

New Scientist
I’ve never been a particularly scientific person, I mean c’mon I failed A-level biology because I thought the course would be all about animals, but the topic does interest me incredibly. That’s why I read New Scientist, a very accessible news based publication on what’s going on in the scientific world. Not only does it give you valuable information on say, black holes and the latest epidemic, it also gives you an in-depth insight into human nature and why we do the things we do. You don’t have to be a scientist to read it, all their content is easy to digest over your morning coffee.

Popshot
One of my favourite independent, literary magazines out there today. Popshot is a platform for new and emerging writers and illustrators to showcase their abilities in a place that reaches exposure. The bi-annual magazine showcases flash-fiction, poetry and short stories based on a theme that anyone can contribute to. Other than the beautiful artwork and writing that make up the magazine even the feel draws you to it.

Boat
My first idea was to put National Geographic’s Traveler here, but instead I reminded myself of a much more interesting magazine. Boat is essentially an independent travel and culture magazine in which each issue features a new city that they frolic about in. They move their entire operations to the new city and interact with the locals to get a raw a true representation of the city. It’s not your average tourist guide or rather a tourist guide at all. Features include stunning photography, stories, interviews and personal profiles.

Frankie
Basically stuffing every lifestyle topic in one place Frankie is an Australian made (woo!) bi-monthly creating featuring everything from fashion to crafts to interiors. When I say they cover pretty much everything I’m serious; competitions, travel guides, interviews, illustration, recipes, books, etc. I could go on forever. One of the unique things I love about the magazine however is its focus on the diy and craft genre. It’s hard to find a magazine that can be so diverse on the topic as well as appealing to most ages of women. Not only do you receive endless crafty ventures to keep you busy there are also printed extras such as calendars.

Bullett
What kind of blogger would I be if I didn’t include at least one fashion publication? Enter Bullett, a unique breed of magazine featuring instant fashion news and beautiful editorials. Although it seems like your average trend watching mag it’s actually a step into the direction of what the industry print will evolve to be. You won’t be seeing college teenagers flicking through this; it’s more of a fashion blogger magazine as is features intelligent fashion writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment