Three Months of Hairstyles


Girl with blonde, highlighted, curly hair

For the past seven or so years I've dreamed about dyeing my hair, from subtle hues to full on platinum. It's taken me a bit of a push but in the last three months I took the plunge. It may not be turquoise however starting off naturally is probably the way to go. At least until I build up enough confidence to go all out.

Naturally my hair is dark brunette and very thick. Unfortunately over the years due to anxiety my hair has become a lot thinner which is frustrating seen as I never had to worry about it before. One of my main goals for 2015 is to make my hair thicker, be it through elevating stress in my daily life or using various haircare products.

My first hairstyle consisted of cutting off 60% of my hair into a lob a few months ago. As a kid I'd always had bobs, my parents seemed to think it was cute, so I was weary enough not to slip back into the past too far. As it turned out lobs were (are) bang on trend with celebrities such as Beyonce and Taylor Swift sporting their own unique versions. You know if Beyonce is doing something it's got to be right. I then had it dyed blonde at the ends into a kind of ombre. Unfortunately I didn't realise until a few days later how harsh the line between my natural hair colour and the dyed hair was.

A couple of days ago I went in to another hairdressers, this one in Darlinghurst, Sydney. I had the pleasure of having my hair done by an apprentice named Tharlya. A lot of people have reservations when having their hair handled by a trainee, but the two times I've had mine done have been fault-free, and sometimes better than qualified hairdressers. I had a half head of highlights done (pictured) which merged perfectly with the yellowy ombre from my previous visit.

Four hours later and I emerge from the hairdressers feeling fucking fantastic. Styled with beachy waves my hair is now the perfect Sydney hairstyle. Now all I need to do is buy some hair curlers and learn how to recreate Tharlya's work.

In the future I'm hoping to eventually hit the platinum hair mark, but until then it's highlighted Iona you'll see for a while.

P.S Excuse how unbelievably excited I look in the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment